Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:40:11 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elfkit release 1.1 is now available

Julian wrote:

> > You can compile and link arbitrary programs, as long as they use only
> > libc.  (The other libraries aren't converted yet.)  The output of the
> > linker is a standard, dynamically-linked ELF executable.  You can also
> > build ELF shared libraries.
>
> Can one  system have elf AND a.out style dynamic libraries at the one time?
> how can you tell them appart?

Currently, all of the ELF stuff is confined to its own directory tree,
"/usr/local/elf".  It is completely independent of the standard system
files, including the a.out shared libraries.

The ELF compiler, assembler, and linker are, essentially, like
cross-development tools.  The compiler finds its own include files under
"/usr/local/elf", and the linker and dynamic linker find their libraries
under "/usr/local/elf".  Thus there's no confusion between the ELF
libraries and the a.out libraries.

If you run an a.out program, the a.out dynamic linker gets invoked, and
it finds the a.out shared libraries in the standard places.  If you run
an ELF program, the ELF dynamic linker gets invoked, and it finds the
ELF shared libraries in different (ELF-specific) places.

> Is there a possibility of mixed a.out and elf libraries for Static
> linking? or is that impossible?

You mean, a single library that contains both a.out and ELF object
modules in it?  I'm not going to say it's impossible -- but why would
you want it?