Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:22:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        m0th@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about dhclient

>  Hello,
>
>  I have a question about dhclient in freebsd.
>  Why after running dhclient, it will go to backgroud? Is it useful?
>  How can I trigger it to do a dhcp again?
>  Now I only can kill the old process and then run dhclient again.
>  Any advice???????

The process had done what it meant to do. It had assigned an IP address. So it
reads the config file and is waiting for the lease timeout written in the
config file.

Which config file?

man dhclient.conf

There is an nice example how to configure the dhclient. The default for the
client is to wait 2 hours before getting a new lease.

Perhaps someone can build a -SIGHUP into the dhclient so that it rereads its
configuration.

have fun

marc