Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 19:30:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Ron Echeverri <rone@B1FF.nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        "Mike O'Dell" <mo@servo.ccr.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Cdrom problems

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Ron Echeverri wrote:

> Funny, when i saw the "stable" label i thought it was going to be an
> operating systems with horsies and stuff.  My expectations sure have
> not been met.  I demand a refund.

That should not be a problem.
Where did you purchase it?
How much did you pay?

Please return ALL copies of the materials and discontinue all use of it.

( If you bought the CDs from Walnut Creek, they do offer refunds.
  I suspect that other vendors will also. )

If you don't wish to discontinue use of FreeBSD, then change your
attitude. One of the biggest impediments to more wide spread
useage is the initial reaction that the new users get. We NEED to
make the initial reaction FRIENDLY. Abandoning choices that are
not working in favor of more workable ones is less likely to drive
away an existing user than a new one.

IMHO, FreeBSD missed ANOTHER opportunity to help clean up this mess.
I, again, suggest that the next time we do a major release branch,
we leave "current" associated with the branch and move references to the
head to a new name such as "development".

Along with this idea, "stable" and "current" simply become aliases
to some branch which is permanently associated with its cvs branch tag
(i.e. 2.2 or 3).
cnch