Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 13:07:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver source location

In message <38EE2BFE.B696AD7@originative.co.uk> Paul Richards writes:
: Why not put everything in /sys/dev and if we need to subdivide do it on
: the basis of function, and then subdivide each driver on the basis of
: either bus or arch as necessary.

That's the idea.

: e.g.
: /sys/dev/lnc
: 	for generic lnc code
: /sys/dev/lnc/pci
: 	for PCI bus code
: /sys/dev/lnc/isa
: 	for ISA bus code

There's no need to have a separate file for the bus stuff.  It is
almost never large enough to warrant anything but its own file.

In this case you'd have sys/dev/lnc with if_lnc.c being the main driver,
if_lnc_isa.c being the isa attachment, if_lnc_pccard.c being for the
pccard attachment, if_lnc_pci.c being for the pci attachment.
Generally if_lncvar.h is for driver internal defines (softc, things
like that) and if_lncreg.h is for the hardware description of an lnc.

: A lot of the drivers already do this unless they are not multi-bus, in
: which case they seem to live in the /sys/pci directory (or equivalent).
: This scattering seems rather pointless and if another bus gets supported
: later it gets even more messy.

The sys/pci really should be broken up.  And it should be sys/dev/pci,
but too many people whined when I suggested that.  Ditto for sys/isa.

: While I'm rambling, the newbusification is also a little haphazard, some
: drivers have hooked into the newbus probing mechanism but not the new
: style resource management. I think a driver should be moved over
: entirely to the new code before it can be said to have been newbusified.

True, but there is a small matter of only having so many hours in the
day.

Warner