Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:09:34 -0500
From:      "F. Even" <freebsdlists@elitists.org>
To:        "Hodge Podge" <nicole@unixgirl.com>, "Michael VanLoon" <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>, <mike.wentz@3ware.com>
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

Who sells systems w/ that many disks that is anemically underpowered?  I
have not seen them a'plenty.  At least not without dual/redundant PS's.  I
can't fathom running that many devs. on a 300W PS, but it is probably a
stretch even on a lone 400W, esp. if it has a lot of other devices, or a
higher clocked chip w/ mounds of memory, those are all pieces that need
power too.  You are now talking about 400W, but you had mentioned trying
this on a 300W before also...which is a ridiculous notion.

I have a hard time believing that you have tossed SCSI systems together w/ 8
drives on them and functioning peripherals, on a 300W PS.  If it worked
great for you, well, great.  Lucky.  Don't count on that as being a good
practice though.  Fire up an old AT PS to just handle a few of the drives,
and see if that doesn't help out.

Frank