Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 12:15:25 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcement: New DPT RAID Controller Driver Available

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 garyj@frt.dec.com wrote:

> jkh@time.cdrom.com writes:
> > Unless, of course, they had something like the AMES wind tunnel
> > providing forced airflow past the drives, then I suppose the plastic
> > sled construction wouldn't really matter much, would it? :-)
> >

> basically, the Storage Works thingies from DEC _do_ have a wind tunnel :)
> I have one of these things at home and it has 2 large fans on the back
> pushing (or pulling ?) air.

Pulling. Wait a couple of months and you'll see the dust accumulate on the
front of the drives...

> I've seen some pretty big RAID arrays here at DEC, all made using
> plastic enclosures. They work good (although I have to agree with
> an earlier poster that those flimsy flex connections are pretty cheesy
> and *so* easy to ruin).

My previous employer had a pretty big OpenVMS cluster with giant SW800
racks (rough estimate - about 500 drives, total most 7200rpm). When
filling up one of these racks, DEC recommends that you add a shelf of fans
at the bottom to force some more air into it, but other than that, heat
doesn't seem to be a problem. These plastic canisters seem to have great
air flow. Just place your hand over the warm air outlet of one of these
SW800s and feel how much heat it evacuates from the drives.

> ---
> Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
> 					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
> 					(play) gj@freebsd.org