Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 12:43:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vlad Markov <bdqjl43@server4.bell-atl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sound Configuration

I have been using FreeBSD 2.1R silently since since last
summer. I tried making a kernel to support my sound card.
I need some assistance.

My sound card:
	MAD16 Pro Audio Card.
	It says it has
		A. Yamaha OPL3 FM, FM Music synthesizer. The kernel found
		this one.
		B. MIDI UART interface with MPU401, IBM PC joystick/game port
		C. Starts in SoundBlaster Pro Mode changes to Windows
		Sound System when Windows is launched.
		D. The Windows Configuration screen says:
			1. DOS:
				IRQ: 5
				Port: 220
				DMA 1
			2. Windows
				IRQ: 11
				Port: 530
				DMA: 0

I have tried various configurations to make a sound supporting kernel
I changed the various values in sound_config.h. I defined the
"OPTI_MAD_PORT" variable in my kernel config file.

My last attempt was to use mss0, setting:
	MSS_BASE 0x530
	MSS_IRQ 11
	MSS_DMA 0

I changed the IRQ setting from the LINT config file to 11 for mss0.
Upon booting, the kernel doesn't find mss0.

I don't know what I am doing.