Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:37:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in -STABLE on P4/2GHz

AMD K6-2 400MHz (as well as K6-III 400MHz) can also be
used as an upgrade solution for older motherboards
which do not support 100MHz FSB. Just switch bus to
66MHz, and set CPU multiplier to 2x (which will be
treated internally as 6x).

Haven't seen any overheating issues with K6-2. Of
course, if to use a $3 sleeve-bearing fan + AT case
with a number of cables hanging inside, a "proper"
cooling is guaranteed. I've always told to my clients
that there are three things which will reduce you a
lot of headache: a quality monitor, a good
motherboard, and an appropriate ball-bearing fan.
Unfortunately, common sense and most PC users
(including some PC builders) are two incompatible
things...

Regards,
 Rhett

Maxim Sobolev wrote:
 > It is likely that those aren't related. Mine
K6-2/500, which I had
 > while back, was also causing SIG 11, due to
overheating. Another
 > possible reason is memory - you should check that
you have PC100,
 > not PC66 installed, because K6-2/400 runs with
100MHz FSB.

 > In this case, the possible overheating is
eliminated by keeping the