Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:55:36 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap problem - more information

> > file.  The *real* problem is that you don't have enough memory.  You
>
> I've got 32mb of physical ram - I dunno bout you, but I think that's
> enough for a machine for one person ?

My boss has 128MB on his Ultra, and it's not enough for him.  I've got
64MB on the Sparc 10 in front of me and it's often not enough.

Saying '32MB is enough for one person' implies that you are willing to
limit yourself to a certain number of applications.  Granted, most
people are pretty happy with 32MB, but that doesn't mean *everyone* will
be happy.

> > can't expect a 4MB box to run decently given 64MB of processes, no
>
> It isn't a 4mb box. What gave you that idea ?

I was making a point.

> > matter how much swap you give it.  You're either going to have to buy
> > more memory or put up with a slow system which is doing more than it's
> > capable of.
>
> I mean, I've redone it now, and the swapping is slower on the vnconfig
> "drive" than on the swap partition - I mean, a *lot* slower.

Yep, it's going through the FS, vs. going directly to the disk.

> > However, on the bright side isn't it great that you *can* run 64MB of
> > processes on a 4MB system.  It may be slow, but it does work. :)
>
> I installed FreeBSD on a 386sx-16 with 4 mb of RAM, and it made for a
> great web-server! However, my machine is a bit more than that, but not
> performing like it :-(

If you're swapping that much it means you don't have enough memory for
all of the applications you are running.  How can it be otherwise?  If
you don't have enough memory, you need to get more.

Now, if this is a transient problem that occurs rarely then adding more
swap is a solution.  That means using a swap file is okay since it is a
rare condition.  However, if swapping happens *all* the time then adding
more swap will just speed up things, but you'll still be swapping *all*
the time.

If you're willing to settle for 'swapping all the time' but having it
swap quickly, pick up another hard-drive and swap to it.  This gives you
two advantages.

1) You don't have to modify your existing system.
2) Data is spread out over two different spindles.  You no longer have
  the heads trying to be at two places at the same time.

On my system I have a *really slow* 40MB SCSI drive a friend gave to me.
I use it for swap since I *rarely* touch the drive, and when I do I'm
using both my fast regular drive and the slower 40MB drive.  If I was
*really* concerned about performance I'd get more memory, but I'm not.

Nate