Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 16:10:59 -0700
From:      Jay Doscher <JDoscher@vid-h2o.org>
To:        'Jim Cassata' <jim@web-ex.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: new type of attack?

I experienced this kind of attack on a Redhat Linux 5.1 machine that had not
been patched.  My experience was that the attacker was using a set of tools
such as cracker.pl and queso ( a port redirector) in a script that scanned a
subnet for slackware or redhat machines that were unpatched against the
mountd exploit.  The scripts run and when they find a machine whose IP stack
matches one of these OS'es it attempts to run the mountd exploit, after it
does it proceeds to root the machine and run cracker.pl against all the
other accounts.  I recieved several complaints of scans and probes from this
box against other sysadmins.  I traced the IP back to an ISP whom when
notified found one of his routers had been compromised and was propagating a
spoofed IP (or running nat, i dunno) without his knowledge.  The script
seems to exploit a machine, then use that machine as a springboard to launch
further attacks.  I know this isn't a BSD issue, but I think it would
explain the probes.

Jay