Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:33:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        ar2018@sjfc.edu (Alfred Rutta)
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

In a previous message, Alfred Rutta said:

> I am trying to have my 486 PC to dualBoot with windows95 and Linux or
> FreeBSD.
> First i would like to know the defrence in between linux and freeBSD.

Linux is based on a kernel by Linus T. in the Netherlands (?) and is
sorta SysVish.
FreeBSD is based on BSD 4.4

Any further comparison results in religous wars.

> Second how much would they cost on a CDrom?
FreeBSD is available from Walnut Creek for $39.95 or
$24.95 for a subscription (That's 24.95 every 6 months
or so).
Linux comes from many distributers, Slackware, Red Hat,
etc. Walnut Creek also has Slackware for the same prices
above.

> Third is it posible to have the dual boot?
Simple. Use Booteasy or OSBS. Both come on the FreeBSD
CD. Linux has something called LIFO. Same sorta thing.

> Forth does the CDroms have major compilers?

Gcc is provided with both.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
200 S. 5th St. Suite 1100       PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7370