Date:      17 Jan 2001 23:54:17 +0100
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI suspend/resume

"Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 05:18:45 +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:

[snip]

> Justin says that the apm code makes a BIOS call, and that the BIOS knows
> how to spin down an IDE disk.  It doesn't know how to spin down a SCSI
> disk, though.
>
> So that's why apm -Z doesn't spin down your SCSI disk.

as I remember me (almost 1 year I dont; run M$ things),
M$ Windows knows how to do this!

isn't it possible to do this at the same time the BIOS syscall is done ?

[snip]

> I'm not sure why you're getting errors, that should work in theory...and it
> does work for me:
>
> # umount /mnt/usr
> # umount /mnt/var
> # umount /mnt
> # camcontrol stop da1 -v
> Unit stopped successfully
> # mount /dev/da1s1a /mnt
> # df
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1a    158783    73406    72675    50%    /
> /dev/da0s1f   7766844  3016956  4128541    42%    /usr
> /dev/da0s1e    254063     2770   230968     1%    /var
> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
> /dev/da1s1a    158783    62397    83684    43%    /mnt

don't understand why this works for you and not for me ?
I'll ask some friends about that... until now, I was always thinking
this was a "normal" comportment.

my machine is an old P166 (3 years) w/ a TEKRAM 390F host adapter (2 years).

> For what it's worth, it looks like you've compiled out the sense strings
> and the CDB strings in your kernel.  That makes it more difficult to debug
> problems.  Your drive is spitting out the correct error code, though.  (ASC
> 0x4, ASCQ 0x2 -- logical unit not ready, initializing command required)

you are right, I've :

options SCSI_NO_SENSE_STRINGS
options SCSI_NO_OP_STRINGS

why this makes more difficult to debug problems ?
have you some preferences about kernel settings ?
do you want a copy of my kernel config file ? any other things ?

> > # camcontrol stop da1
> > Unit started successfully
>
> Umm, what's going on there?  It should have said unit stopped sucessfully,
> since you issued a 'camcontrol stop'...

typo again, read start, sorry.

[snip]

Cyrille.