Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:36:00 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rumen Telbizov <telbizov@gmail.com>
Cc:        Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: MPS driver: force bus rescan after remove SAS cable

Rumen Telbizov wrote:
>     > Also identify function doesn't work from the OS (no problem
>     > via the card BIOS). Don't remember having any luck with sg3_util
>     > package either but worth trying again.
>
>     I don't use SAS myself, but wouldn't the command be "inquiry" and not
>     "identify"?  "identify" is for ATA (specifically SATA via CAM), while
>     "inquiry" is for SCSI.  Where SAS fits into this is unknown to me.
>

> Well I have SATA disks visible as /dev/da* . From camcontrol(8):
>
>      inquiry     Send a SCSI inquiry command (0x12) to a device.  By
> default,
>                  camcontrol will print out the standard inquiry data, device
>                  serial number, and transfer rate information.  The user can
>                  specify that only certain types of inquiry data be printed:
>
> Example:
>
> # camcontrol inquiry /dev/da47
> pass48: <ATA WDC WD2003FYYS-0 0D02> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device
> pass48: Serial Number      WD-WMAUR0408496
> pass48: 300.000MB/s transfers, Command Queueing Enabled
>
> It's a SATA disk in this case attached to SAS/SATA backplane and SAS2008
> HBA chip (9211-8i)
> What I need is a way to light on the fault led on the disk that I want
> to identify (point to)
> This is usually what I need when I send a DC technician to replace a
> disk. For which I though I should
> be using:
>
>      identify    Send a ATA identify command (0xec) to a device.
>
> From my experience SAS or SATA disks - I always get those as /dev/da*
> disks. It's a combo controller and backplane.
> So which is the correct way of identifying a disk?

`camcontrol identify` means sending ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE command to the
ATA device. That command is roughly the analogue of the SCSI INQUIRY
command. It has nothing to do with LEDs. LEDs most likely controlled via
ses device or some alike management thing.

The fact that you see ATA device as daX is just means that your SAS
controller does protocol translation on-the-fly. It allows you to
communicate with disk using SCSI commands _instead_ of ATA.

--
Alexander Motin