Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:23:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   conf/50000: ntpdate not ran before (x)ntpd

>Number:         50000
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       ntpdate not ran before (x)ntpd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD foem.leiden.webweaving.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Tue Nov 26 13:16:54 CET 2002 dirkx@foem.leiden.webweaving.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FOEM i386

	ntpdate and (x)ntpd both need the same port. I.e. one cannot start ntpd and then
	use ntpdate.

	Now in some situations it is useful to have an ntpdate done just before starting
	ntpd; as the clock may have gone so far out of sync (as the machine was off for a
	long time) that ntpd is not able to wack it in sync.

>How-To-Repeat:

	just enable both in your rc.conf and see ntpdate fail with a port already
	in use.

>Fix:

	make rc.d/ntpd dependin gon ntpdate - so that the latter is ran first. Then
	you can both have ntpdate run first (and once during boot) to get the clock
	resonably in sync; and then rely on ntpd from thereon.