Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 07:06:06 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding '-gnome' and '-gtk' to package names

--==_Exmh_-1438536511P

If memory serves me right, Jeremy Lea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 02:21:08PM -0400, Nat Lanza wrote:
> > Also, it breaks pkg_version, which is really annoying:
> >
> >   # pkg_version -v
> >   [ elided ]
> >   sawfish-gnome-0.31.1        ?   unknown in index
> >   [ elided ]
> >   xscreensaver-gtk-3.24       ?   unknown in index
> >
> > Please consider backing out this change.
>
> No.  These are very important.  They tell you when optional support has
> been added for a port.  As for pkg_version, the current solution is to
> add slave makefiles for all of the various option based ports (not just
> the GNOME/GTK+ ones, but also the i18n ones, the mysql ones, the x11
> ones...).  A more offical route would be to remove the -'s from all of
> the ports which are not supposed to have them in their names (there are
> a bunch, and have pkg_version only compare the bit after the first - and
> before the second (one only before the second if the first does not
> exist), with the version number tacked on the end.

Coming in late on this discussion, I won't comment on the
non-pkg_version related aspects of whatever this change was.

However, sobomax and I have been working on some improvements to the
ports infrastructure and pkg_version.  Basically, sobomax proposed a way
for installed packages to have a pointer back to their ports collection
entry, and I made pkg_version take advantage of it for version number
comparisons.  This was intended to solve a couple of other problems, but
I think it also gets rid of the one you folks have been discussing.

asami is reviewing the changes.

Cheers,

Bruce.

PS.  You can follow this in the thread with headers that look like:

Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Use @comment PLIST variable to track where installed
 packages came from [Was: Enhancement of pkg_version's version
 comparison   routine]

--==_Exmh_-1438536511P

--==_Exmh_-1438536511P--