Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:59:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        thekind@NETural.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI RAID controller support?

> I'd go for hardware RAID rather than software/controller RAID. You can
> buy devices that just plug into your SCSI bus and appear like on VERY
> large, VERY fast SCSI drive. Hot swap, striping, error-correction, the
> works. Controller/software based solutions will never be as flexable.
>
> > Otherwise, our webserver may turn into an NT box (PUKE).
>
> I'm surprised that you need RAID for web serving at all. You'd need a
> VERY high hit rate, or be pumping out large documents to need such
> access speed.

What?  What makes you think RAID is faster?  It's slower, without
hardware acceleration (like an NVRAM write cache).  You have to do
two writes for each write, otherwise...

If he wants addes speed, he should use striping with spindel-sync,
not RAID.

RAID is for fault tolerance and error recovery.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.