Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:33:35 +0000
From:      Nick Jones <nick@tachief.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Loader causing reset on 4.6-STABLE

I originally posted this to -stable, but as it seems to have stumped
everyone there I thought I'd give you guys a try instead.  I'm fairly
certain it's not -STABLE specific anyway.

Since updating my sources on the 17th and upgrading to 4.6-STABLE, I've
encountered a problem with getting my machine to successfully boot.

Before loader even finishes initialising, my box just resets.  Some kind of
error is echoed to the screen, and I've managed to capture this via a serial
console:

------

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(nick@tachief.com, Tue Jun 18 11:49:18 BST 2002)
Console: serial port
BIOS drive A: is disk2
BIOS drive C: is disk3
BIOS 640kB/261108kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(nick@tachief.com, Tue Jun 18 11:49:18 BST 2002)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
Console: serial port
BIOS drive A: is disk4
BIOS drive C: is disk5
BIOS 640kB/261108kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(nick@tachief.com, Tue Jun 18 11:49:18 BST 2002)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x37574

------

I can, however, issue a ^C just after I've selected which disk to boot from in
the bootloader and before loader causes my box to reset.  This then allows me
to boot /kernel (instead of /boot/loader), and apart from it complaining about
loader metadata being missing, it continues to boot and function just fine.

So, any ideas?  I've not noticed anyone else complain of a similar problem
so far with -STABLE, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

The hardware is fairly standard - Intel Celeron 433, Asus BX-based mainboard,
Adaptec 2940U SCSI controller, and the bootdisk is an IBM DNES-309170 (9.1GB
SCSI) designated da0.

--

- Nick Jones | nick@tachief.com