Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:15:03 -0800
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        TheUaRT <theuart@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

TheUaRT wrote:

> I am a newbie to FreeBSD (2nd attempt) but not to computers.
> I've always stood for people helping others learn current/new
> technologies to it's maximum potential...  But it seems now
> a days that people keep telling you to RTFM.  What a concept.
> It would be nice if people weren't so arrogant.  Specially on IRC.

Mr. Arrogant here. Have you actually read the FM? It's a wonderful FM.
It won't answer all your questions, but it's a very good start.

I wasn't always arrogant. Once I was a loving person who volunteered 23
hours out of each day to volunteer answering FreeBSD questions. But my
lack of sleep and lagging productivity meant that I needed another
solution besides answering every question that came my way. So I decided
to perform a grand and noble gesture for the newbies. I wrote a
Handbook, a FAQ, and the best set of man pages for any OS yet seen.

And what happened? I kept getting a thousand questions a day asking
about a topics in the Handbook and FAQ. Questions like "how do I use
ports?" and "how do I mount my Windows partition?" I couldn't help
myself. Like the Grinch, my heart shrivelled up and I became a crusty
old arrogant bastard.

There is a cure for my condition. Start reading the documentation.

Mr. Arrogant