Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 01:30:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/3190: RISCom N2 card driver problem?

The following reply was made to PR bin/3190; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
To: Roman.Pavlik@skynet.cz
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 11:09:39 +0200 (SAT)

 > >Synopsis:       RISCom N2 card driver problem?
 > I try to configure RISCom N2 card on 2.2.1 box. I used CISCO 2511 on the other
 > end of sync line. When I tried RISCom N2 card in HDLC mode (ifconfig link2)
 > it was able to ping to remote CISCO, but it was unable to traceroute.
 > I switched RISCom N2 card to PPP. After this, it was able to ping as so as
 > traceroute. BUT It does not forwarding packets. (I check net.inet.ip.forwarding
 > and it was set up to 1). I tried the same with  3.0-970209-SNAP and it wors
 > fine in PPP mode (in HDLC it was still unable to traceroute).
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Install 2.2.1 box with RISCom N2 isa

 Can you elaborate a bit more on your setup please? I don't have a Cisco
 available at the moment, but I did the following setup and traceroute
 and other routing does work:

       Ethernet
 ------------------------------
      |                      |
 Machine A               Machine B                       Machine C
 (FreeBSD-current)       (FreeBSD-2.2.1)                 (FreeBSD-current)
                          RISCom N2/ISA                   RISCom NS/PCI
                             |                                 |
 			    -----------------------------------

 Machine B is:
 50MHz 486DX
 8MB RAM
 SMC 16bit ethernet
 RISCom NS/ISA
 I did a clean 2.2.1 install from ftp.za.freebsd.org choosing the "kernel
 developer" option to get the kernel source, recompiled a kernel with:

 device sr0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 12 iomem 0xd0000 vector srintr
 pseudo-device   sppp

 added and all other device unneeded device drivers took out. I rebooted
 with the new kernel and did the following (the ethernet side was using
 the sysconfig setup that was done by the installation):

 ifconfig sr0 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 link2
 sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

 I could then ping, traceroute and telnet from machine A to machine C.

 John
 --
 John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za