Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:22:34 -0400
From:      "Yarema" <yds@ingress.net>
To:        "Pat Lynch" <lynch@bsdunix.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Of SDSL, speed and bad ISPs

> Thats should have read "just outside on NYC", I'm in Lodi, NJ
>
> Speaking of which, who is actually interested in getting together from the
> NYC/NJ area? I tried this once before, for the Users Group...I'd like to
> have another meeting soon, but I want to drum up as many users as
> possible. -Pat

IngressNet, the ISP I work for sells both Covad and NorthPoint DSL in the
NYC/NJ area. If an area is covered by both companies I'll choose Covad over
NorthPoint in every case unless a customer demands otherwise. Covad is more
responsive and has a much better support infrastructure for the ISPs than
NorthPoint. If you are in Hudson County though, your choices are
BellAtlantic and Northpoint. BellAtlantic should be avoided at all costs.
Yes I'm biased. Not because I perceive them as competitors, rather cuz
BellAtlantic has given me too much grief as a vendor to ever trust them.

For home use I recently subscribed to Comcast@Home cable service. IMO, the
best deal around where available. I've hit download speeds of >200KBps (yes,
I did mean bytes not bits per second) and it's only $40/month including $10
to lease the cable modem and a static IP is included. latencies are a bit
high sometimes, but otherwise the speed is more than acceptable for the
price.

Also next time there's a FUNY get-together, could someone let me know
directly? I'd like to attend, but if it's only announced on one of these
FreeBSD lists I might miss it. Thanks.

--
Yarema
SysAdmin