Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:54:45 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Listening to users [was Re: Package system wishlist]

Wes Peters wrote:

> Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> >
> > [Snip the long arguments over which new format for the packages]
> >
> > there is a interesting post by an ex-user of desktop Linux, which can
> > help when designing the new package system (it will have to be used by
> > mere mortals, not only by the elite posting on -arch)
> >
> > <http://members.optusnet.com.au/~knigits/articles/switched_back.html>;
> > (shamelessly cut&pasted from /.)
> >
> > we still have a long way to go before even computer-aware people (that
> > is, even people formely developping on SGI or Sun machines) can feel at
> > ease installing and using FreeBSD.
         ^^^^^^^^^^

> Really?  Believe it or not, I've formerly (and currently) developed on
> SGI and Sun machines, along with IBM, HP, DEC, Motorola, Intel, NCR,
> Unisys, Sequent, CCI, Arete/Arix, and even Radio Shack UNIX-ish
> machines, and I strongly prefer FreeBSD to any of them.

I was not clear enough : I too wouldn't any day exchange FreeBSD for any
commercial Unix version (FreeBSD is really a hacker's delight :
everything is accessible, and there are people to explain its mysteries
!)

FreeBSD is also a "place" where ordinary people learn quite a lot of
what is generally hidden elsewhere.

What I was stressing is that people coming from the world of "packaged"
"easy-to-install" operating systems (even Solaris holds your hand for
the installation, and the limited hardware scope allows a full driver
coverage, for sure) are a bit afraid when (e.g.) presented with 3
choices for the XFree config, with the first two are buggy.

	TfH