Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:26:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ache@nagual.ru, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new category: astro

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * I object, astrology is human-oriented survival technique or
>  * art of archetypical symbolism, any scientific methods allowed there,
>  * but it have little relation with kiddy science stuff which can't
>  * give anything to human soul being by itself
>  * (only as a tool withing greater discipline).
>
> Well ok, no astrology then.  I don't want to get involved in religious
> wars.
>
> What do people think about games or screensavers?  I mean, the ones
> that create random patters that look like stars.  I'd like to include
> those too, if it's ok (otherwise it's going to be very lonely...).

Seeing as there are very few ports in our collection that are
unambiguously defined by only a single possible category, I think worrying
over categories is needless.  What is needed is a better way to find ports
by keywords, not arguments over categories.  We should have (IMO) a
KEYWORDS variable, that would have a list of possible search words, in
each port.  Then a Makefile target could find things for folks.  How often
has a thing been ported recently, only to find it was already there in
another category?  I would personally catgegorize them alphabetically, to
stop this nonsense argument, because (until I here the voice of God
telling me the One True Way) there isn't any right answer.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |