Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:38:09 -0800
From:      Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
To:        Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI AHC 2940

Quoting Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>:

> So today I tried the following: use an IDE 8Gb HD to install FBSD 5.0
> and then plug the SCSI drive to create a partition and mount it.
> Everything went smooth until I started copying file to the mount point
> of the 9Gb SCSI HD.
>
> I first copied /bin to /newhd and it did it without any trouble.
> I was really suprised that it was working so I decided to copy
> something bigger to make sure it was NOT working :)
> So I copied /usr to /newhd and it crashed. I was pretty sure the
> errors messages would be in /var/log/messages so I rebooted the
> computer and saw that I was completely wrong.
>
> Actually it started copying file and ended with a bunch of errors
> followed by a disk syncing (like when you shut down your comp).
>
> Now, is there a way to log the error messages so I can tell you
> exactly what I get so you can (maybe and hopefully) help me ?

Do you have an extra computer, null modem cable?  If so, hook up the extra
computer to the serial port of your freebsd box, enable logging via your
terminal program of choice, then repeat whatever steps are needed.

Other things you may or may not have checked:

In my days of working with Adaptec SCSI cards, I came to the conclusion that
termination was best handled manually. While the system is POST'ing you should
see something about Adaptec yada yada. Hit Ctrl-A, to bring up the Adaptec BIOS
settings, and make sure the termination is set properly.

Since you only have one drive, you should have termination enabled on both the
card and the drive.

You should also be able to see the drive from within Adaptec's SCSI Tools.
After setting the termination properly, run a verify media test.

--daxbert