Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:32:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@gutenberg.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "The Complete FreeBSD", first edition: errata and addenda

Sean Harding said:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Mike Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Consider the freebsd-questions-digest mailing list which bundles
>> multiple mail messages into a single mail digest.  Having large
>
>Seems like taking questions in digest form is kind of
>counter-productive...Makes it really hard to answer individual questions
>without deleting a bunch of other junk and changing the subject line.

Eh?  The digest expands out into a bunch of individual messages, just as if
they'd been delivered individually.  My only gripe is that majordomo loses
the original Message-ID: and To: headers so threading/replying never quite
work properly.

>I never really understood the point of digests anyway. With procmail, it
>can all be funneled away to a place where it will wait for you to look at
>it anyway. And that makes it easier to scan subject lines and decide what
>to read.

It's quicker (and cheaper) to download one honking great message than 100
little ones, for those of us stuck on the end of expensive dialups.  I only
dial in once or twice a day; procmail splits up the digests when they
arrive on the FreeBSD box.

Just my 2 cents worth....

	Scott