Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 16:09:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        babbleon@mercury.interpath.com (Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Groups ; Setuid

Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account stands accused of saying:

>   1. I want to be able to su to root from my ID, but did not originally
>      give myself root perms.  When I tried to edit (via vipw) the password
>      file to just change my group, it didn't seem to "take" somehow, so
>      I switched it back.  If I understand the theory, though, I should be
>      able to be in multiple groups.  How?  It doesn't seem to be in the
>      handbook or the FAQ, and my perusal of man pages hasn't show anything.
>      I admit I'm not on speaking terms with info yet, but I don't think
>      that FreeBSD favors it anyway.

Edit /etc/group and add yourself to the 'wheel' group.

>   2. I want to be able to setuid a "script" to root and have it jolly well
>      do whatever I can do logged in as root.  In particlar, I want to have
>      scripts to slattach and associated "stuff" to various places and I
>      want to allow non-root folks to do so.  I can make some stuff work with
>      suidperl, but even then it barfs if I try to invoke an extermal command
>      that's a shell.

You can't have setuid shellscripts.  Suidperl probably won't execute external
shellscripts as root either.

You could make slattach setuid-root, although I'd be more inclined to use
'startslip'.  Note that ppp and pppd are already setuid-root.