Date:      Sun, 01 Jul 2001 01:11:05 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        FastPathNow@netscape.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick question on kgdb

FastPathNow@netscape.net wrote:

> Both the kernel and kernel.debug files are of exactly the same size -
> about 3.3 Megs . This is inspite of having the DEBUG=-g option being set
> in the MYKERNEL directory. Any other clues, why this could be happening.
> I also tried the other procedure of using 'make depend' etc as outlined
> in the doc, but that produced the same results. What else could I be missing?

The handbook claims that the build procedure strips the kernel before
installing.
Can you manually strip the kernel? Most optimized kernels I've seen are
less
than 2 meg, the generic kernel is slightly over three. A debug kernel is
usually
larger than 7 meg, so it seems like your kernel is already stripped, as
well
as the kernel.debug.
Verify your config file and try rebuilding the kernel.

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?