Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:51:34 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interesting ssh + X + tcp_wrappers problem

	I've been doing some housecleaning lately and I finally decided to set up
a one-way ssh authentication from my workstation to my gateway machine. I
set up the ssh keys and that was all good. Then I went to start an X app on
the gateway expecting it to just pop up on the workstation's X display
(happens to be cvsup, but I don't think that's relevant) and I got the
following:

error: Fwd X11 connection from dt010nb9.san.rr.com refused by tcp_wrappers.

	I am using natd on the gateway to hook me up to my cable modem. The
hostname is the one that the world sees me as, and is assigned to the
outside interface. I have the inside interface set up as 10.0.0.1, and the
workstation is 10.0.0.2. I have ALL : 10.0.0.2 : allow in /etc/hosts.allow
(and appropriate ipfw filtering set up of course), but I didn't have the
address of the outside interface in there anywhere since I never expected
it would be a problem for the machine to connect to itself. :)

	Now I am not sure if this is an sshd problem, an X problem, a tcp_wrappers
problem, or what have you. I do know that once I put an entry for the
outside interface address in hosts.allow it worked. The only problem I have
with that is that with dhcp that address changes every time someone gets a
wild hair and reboots the dhcp server, and they do that a couple times a
month. This makes one more thing that I have to add to my
"bugger-I-got-another-new-IP" script that I'd prefer to avoid.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome,

Doug