Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:13:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ross Ghanim <rossghanim@urs2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Ross Ghanim wrote:

> I installed freebsd.  It went ok.  I did not install xf86 like the book
> suggested.  Now I went to chapter 7 and want to install ports but could
> not make it work (make was asking to fitch some files) I installed all
> the ports cd /usr then tar xzvf /cdrom/ports/ports.tgz.  I could make
> readmes. When I wanted to make ports using make and make install.
> 2- When trying to add package emacs-20.tgz it said unable to open table
> of contents.

Sounds like it's hunting for the info files from the info distribution.

> 3- when I went to chapter 7 no luck at all.  First there is no dists on
> the disk there is /cdrom/xf86332/servers and when I ran it it said wrong
> zip format.

[digging out book]

Hm, ports tree.  Instead of using the X port I'd suggest starting
/stand/sysinstall, selecting Configure, then Distributions, then XFree86
with <SPACE>, then navigate the menus to select the parts you want, then
<OK> back out.  When prompted for media select the appropriate media type.
That should install X for you.  Make sure you grab these X bits:

basic
	bin
	cfg
	doc
	lib
	man
	prog
	set

Server
	VGA16
	SVGA
	(other driver if appropriate for your card)

Fonts
	fnts
	f100
	fscl

 > 4-when doing mformat A: it said not files.

install the mtools distribution from ports/sysutils.