Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 1996 07:24:15 +1000
From:      James Lever <james@karanthia.humbug.org.au>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        james@karanthia.humbug.org.au
Subject:   Re: Problems with dialup access

>> I am having problems setting my FreeBSD system to allow dialup access.
>> The only way that I can get an intelligible login prompt is to force the
>> FreeBSD system and the remote PC to use 19.2 kbaud.  If I try something
>> like VH57600 in the ttys file (for the appropriate modem port, ttyd1),
>> I  get garbage characters at the login.  No amount of <enter> or <break>
>> characters entered from the PC will fix this.

I'm having identical problems and have tried many suggestions.  The
modem is also on the second serial port and only gets intellible

>Have you tip'd into the modem to set the port speed? Most modern modems
>set speed that way. So you need to connect to it out at least once.
>So you need to do something like a:
>tip -57600 cuaa0b

Well after configuring tip to recognise cuaa1 I tried this and found that
it just resets the port to 9600 when you exit.  stty -f /dev/cuaa1 speed
115200 (or 57600) does little for changing the speed of the port.

Can anybody lend a hand??

TIA,
James

ps: I'm off list (but on the digest list)