Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:19:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devfs persistence

> I would argue for build-time, and let you edit the class template
> data if you felt inclined to do it post-build.  But I'm just being
> generous; there's no real reason for allowing that, especially in a
> first revision, since you always have rc.local.

I don't think that class templates are generic enough.  When I worked
for TCS at Cal Berkely, we had a machine that had everything but one
public tape drive locked in a cabinet.  The system had one tape drive
for nightly dumps that only the sysadmins could access with a key.  So,
as you can imagine, the permissions on the two devices were quite
different even though they were members of the same class.

--
Justin