Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:31:33 -0800
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>
To:        Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
Cc:        saxonww@ufl.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken FTP

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 06:06:22PM +0900, Yoshinobu Inoue wrote:
> > > But maybe it is better to print out the first error, as the fact?
> >
> > I have nothing against EPSV itself, I am against additional verbosity and
> > performance degradation since it is tried before _each_ command.
>
> OK I'll change not to try it once it fails.

It seems your last patch _not_ fix the problem. Now I got:

ftp> dir
500 'EPSV': command not understood.

on first 'dir' command issued. This is with wu-ftpd. Remember that different
ftpd's could have slightly different format for response so you should
not relay on it much.

Could you please try EPSV automatically on _login_ and eat predictable response
instead of trying on first user command? In that way you can reflect EPSV-able
status in ftp's 'status' command to give user info is remote ftpd
EPSV-compatible or not, as I already describe in previous messages.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.pp.ru>