Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:57:31 +0100
From:      Gabor PALI <pgj@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan@gmail.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Committers guide: replace CVS by SVN where appropiate

Hello,

Rene Ladan wrote:
> the current version of the Committers Guide (1.278 2008-08-16 21:42:35 pgj)
> uses CVS for everything, but as of last June the src repository uses SVN.

Yeah, but do not forget many committers (two out of three kinds) still
using and going to use CVS for a time being.  Merging des's SVN Primer
[1] into this guide would be a good idea, but note that some of its
parts have been already put into developers-handbook [2].  While you are
at committers-guide, it would be worth to mention FreeBSD wiki accounts
[3] too, because it is "default" for developers now.

I also wanted to revise some other sections of the committers-guide, for
example (without the claim of completeness):

- "Note: If you are a developer but not a committer, you will not be
subscribed to the committers or developers mailing lists; the
subscriptions are derived from the access rights."  -- Is it still true?
 For example, bug busters are not committers but members of the
developers' mailing list.

- CVS Tags should be updated.

- I am sure that contents of "Who's Who" should be also updated.

- There is some information needed about the servers (i.e. freefall,
hub, pointyhat etc.) a developer may access, at least their hostname.  I
remember it did not find these servers first time :)  Of course, they
are listed on the Project's internal page, but at least a link would be
welcome to that page.

- I am not sure that "A Free 4-CD Set or DVD Subscription" is still
available for committers.

:g

[1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/SubversionPrimer
[2]