Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:54:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, roy.s.nielsen@intel.com
Subject:   Re: bootloader....

> From owner-freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG Fri Jul 30 10:45:10 1999
> From: "Nielsen, Roy S" <roy.s.nielsen@intel.com>
> To: "'freebsd-small@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>,
>         "'freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: bootloader....
> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:44:57 -0700
>
> I'm looking at booting(embedded devices) and I've been looking at lilo boot
> loader code and booteasy bootloader code...
>
> does anyone know of any documentation that anyone out there has done on this
> topic? -- more specifically without
> bios calls/support?
>
> I've seen the booteasy code at:
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/srcs/bteasy/
>
> is there a newer version? this code is supposed to be compiled with
> TASM/Borland C right? is there source that
> can be compiled with gnu tools?
>
> I'll take any and all suggestions :)
>
> Thanks,
> -roy

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-small" in the body of the message

FreeBSD 3.2-Release:

/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0

Note:  this is one of a zillion of boot managers that do this.

Note2: you only get 512 bytes loaded in from the MBR or 0 level boot.
  This is BARELY enough to use the BIOS calls.  You use this to load the
  level 1 boot which is usually about 8K,  and even it still uses the bios
  calls,  due to the evil keyboard IO,  disk IO remapping, etc. etc., etc.
  that the BIOS does.

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   619-874-6543 FAX 619-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)