Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:28:43 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>, Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
Cc:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports which are currently scheduled for deletion

On 4/9/2014 11:22, Big Lebowski wrote:
> While we are not having any way to measure ports usage (or am I wrong
> here?), we're still building packages from ports, and I would hope that we
> could get some statistics of pkg usage for certain packages from official
> repositories, could we? This is not exactly direct relationship for the
> port being used but I would think that such knowledge is better than none.

How do you distinguish packages downloaded by mirrors versus those
downloaded by pkg?  At DragonFly, we'd love to know how to do this
because it always comes up when the "it's kill to kill i386 platform"
discussion comes up.  Every time somebody brings up a statistic about
how many times packages are download (or what % packages downloaded are
i386) then the very next questions is: are those legitimate downloads.

> As a sidenote, perhaps its the time to introduce some sort of package/ports
> usage data gathering to FreeBSD just like Debian/Ubuntu are doing it, that
> would be anonymous and optional?

Maybe pkg adds some unique variable to the download URL.  If not, it
could, and statistics could be tracked that way by analyzing the web
server logs.

John