Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:00:39 -0400
From:      Michael Proto <mike@jellydonut.org>
To:        Iwan Aucamp <aucampia@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless Router

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Iwan Aucamp <aucampia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a device which I intend to use as a wireless router - and
> would like to load either bsd or linux on - with at least following: 1xus=
b,
> 2xethernet, 2xmini-pci(e).
>
> I found this :
> http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=3DMPC8377E=
WLAN
> A bit pricey for what you get - but quite reasonable - would likely be
> cheaper if it was for mass market - think they maybe sell 100 a year if
> that.
>
> I have looked also at:
>
> =A0- routerboard : mikrotik doesn't really want to help people to load ot=
her
> OS on it - and it's a mission from what i've seen to do it
> =A0- alix : a bit slow - and I don't really like the amd geode (seems lik=
e its
> not really made for router applications)
> =A0- routerstation pro : probably best option price wise - but a bit more
> power would be nice - and board layout is bit awkward.
>
> Any other ideas ?
g"

I don't know what's wrong with the ALIX platform in this case. I've
got one running a custom build of FreeBSD 8 on a 32MB CompactFlash
(not NanoBSD but my own cut-down build) as a wireless router with 3
LAN and 1 MiniPCI. It works extremely well and I can max-out my 12MB
cable connection before I get anywhere close to hitting a CPU limit on
the device (I've got one of the older LX700 models, not the LX800 that
only seems to be available now). It works very well as a wireless
router platform in a moderately-inexpensive price point, and has an
onboard glxsb crypto accelerator for AES-128 IPSec.

-Proto