Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:20:23 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        kbarker@tiac.net (Keith Barker)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I Missing Something?

Keith Barker writes:
> I'm a new FreeBSD user with a passing familiarity with unix. I'm
> installing FreeBSD on a Pentium machine with plenty of RAM, SCSI HDD and
> SCSI CD-ROM. I've got the Greg Lehey book on FreeBSD, and that has been
> some help up until now.

Glad to hear it.

> My problem is that I'm trying to install XFree86 which came on the same
> CD-ROM as the FreeBSD os (2.1.5). Following the instructions in the book
> seems to have put all the files on the disk. However, after following
> all the steps to install the software, XFree86 will not start. I've
> followed the steps for an "automatic" installation, and I have also
> configured XFree86 manually by following the instructions in the book,
> with no results. Any suggestions?

I'd have to guess, since you don't describe what happens instead.  I'd
guess that you have geometry problems.  That's a point I didn't
discuss in too much detail in the book.  Disable the automatic
translation feature that newer host adaptors offer.  If you're sharing
the disk with DOS, make sure your root file system is fully in the
first 504 MB.  If neither of these apply, give some more details and
I'll see what I can come up with.

Greg