Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:37:26 +0000
From:      David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL performance scaling

Mark Felder wrote:
> I recommend posting this on the Postgres performance list, too.
>

> Regards,
>

> Mark

I think if PostgreSQL uses semaphore for inter-process locking,
it might be a good idea to use POSIX semaphore exits in our head
branch, the new POSIX semaphore implementation now supports
process-shared, and is more light weight than SYSV semaphore,
if there is no contention, a process need not enter kernel to
acquire/release a lock. Note that I have just fixed a bug in head
branch. However RELENG_8 does not support process-shared semaphore
yet.

Regards,
David Xu