Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:13:44 +0000
From:      Vsevolod Stakhov <vsevolod@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pkg@FreeBSD.org, ports-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ruBSD 2013 pkg talk report

Hello,

I'd like to summarize the feedback I've received from pkg users during
that event. I got many questions about ports and packages and I think
that questions are useful for the overall pkg development.

The most of questions were related to options and base system:

Q: What if I have a package built from ports with some custom options
and a repository has newer package but with different set of options?
A: I proposed to skip updating such a package from binary repo, but
initiate its building from ports directly (assuming that ports uses pkg
for dependency/conflicts resolving). That sounds reasonable and seems to
be very convenient for an end user.

Q: What if I have a system with some build options that are not
compatible with binary packages, e.g. DISABLE_IPV6.
A: I think it is useful to have a special metafile for each repo that
describes compatible systems, including not merely ABI, but a specific
set of non-compatible options. The alternative is to create virtual base
system packages (e.g. kernel-noipv6), that may be placed in the
dependencies list.

Q: What if I have my own custom repo that has older software but with my
local patches.