Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:17:39 -0300
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        Zavam, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Vin=EDcius?= <egypcio@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 8.0 stable amd64/x86 needs ~9min to bootup

This problem happened with me too. I don't know why boot loader makes
intensive reads when installed on partition created by another fdisk
(windows, linux, etc) and started by GRUB2.

There is a workaround for this, you have to create all partitions with
freebsd sysinstall included windows and linux partitions. After this do
install for all others OSes using those partitions created by sysinstall.

In my case there are 03 OSes installed on same HD:

1: Windows boot loader: 1023MB
2: Windows 7: 50GB
3: PCBSD 8.0: 70GB
* -> 5: Linux 108GB
     6: Linux swap

This problem can be tested before install if you run sysinstall and
choses partiotion menu if you receive alerts like this: "Partition X
does not end on cylinder boundary" you will have problem with GRUB2.

I'm using GRUB2 from Ubuntu 9.10 with this entry in file
/etc/grub.d/40_custom:

menuentry "FreeBSD/PCBSD 8.0 AMD64" {
set root=(hd0,3)
chainloader +1