Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:12:09 +0200
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        piotr.smyrak@heron.pl
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no USB mice detected on GA-MA74GM-S2

2009/4/12  <piotr.smyrak@heron.pl>:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:57:30 +0200, piotr.smyrak wrote
>> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:49:25 +0200, Martin wrote
>> > Am Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:08:05 +0200
>> > schrieb Piotr Smyrak <piotr.smyrak@heron.pl>:
>> >
>> > I'm overall satisfied with -CURRENT. I've always wanted to
>> > say that FreeBSD developers do a really great job on the
>> > -CURRENT branch. It's running very stable and has plenty
>> > of new features. I know I shouldn't recommend to migrate
>> > to -CURRENT, but I'm almost sure, it runs much better than
>> > every -CURRENT I've seen before and sometimes I have the
>> > impression that it's even nicer than the -STABLE branch.
>>
>> Well, I am not scared by -CURRENT at all, but I was
>> hesitating to upgrade main build since it is after all a
>> moving target and I would like to keep my main work horse
>> as much steady as possible.
>>
> Sadly this is all I can get out of 8.0-CURRENT as of yesterday. Both with BIOS option for "USB mouse support" on and
> off.

Don't bother with BIOS settings for "USB/keyboard mouse support", they
won't help. This is a long standing (bios?) bug for *MANY* Gigabyte
motherboards (like this one from 2007:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-October/078191.html
). A quick workaround is to attach your mouse (or any other USB device
that dies during boot - mices, keyboards, card readers, etc. do this
with FreeBSD 6/7's usb1 and Gigabyte boards) -after- all USB drivers
are loaded and initialized. That always works. Also in one case I know
of, having an external powered USB hub 'solved' the issue (if that
counts as a fix).

Still, having it properly fixed in usb1 drivers wouldn't hurt, of
course, but until then, just detach your mouse before boot, plug it
after, and you're fine.

m.