Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 13:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte), dfr@nlsystems.com, khaled@mailbox.telia.net, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de driver problem

> Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > PERL_SRC=/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
> > Writing Makefile for DynaLoader
> > ==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
> > ==> Please rerun the make command.  <==
> > false
> > false: not found
> > *** Error code 1
>
> I periodically see this one reported, and It is always repaired
> by the reporter making sure their tree is _really_ clean before
> doing a make world. "Really clean" means "make cleandir" _twice_,

This indicates to me, the original author of ``cleandir'', that
something has broken the functionality that it had.  This something
is more than likely the removal of code similiar to:

	cd /usr/obj/{.CURDIR}; chflags -R noschg tmp; rm -rf *;

before the equiv of:
	cd {.CURDIR}; ${make} clean

> and complete removal of the contents of /usr/obj. _Then_ cvsup.
> I prefer to usr CVS checkout, as it shows all the differences and
> other turds in my source tree.

If ``make cleandir'' is leaving some cruft in any form behind anyplace
in the build tree things are broken.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                   rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD