Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:33:49 -0500
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iSCSI

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Monday 08 January 2007 14:52, DAve wrote:
>> We are moving to SAN in the near future to resolve a host of issues. I
>> have been looking through archives for information on FreeBSD and iSCSI
>> without much success.
>>
>> We currently have 15 servers running FreeBSD and several more in the
>> queue/on order. It is looking like FreeBSD may not provide the
>> production level of iSCSI initiator we will require. (The iSCSI target
>> host will be a third party vendor)
>>
>> I am sending a request for information to the project lead but I am also
>> interested in knowing if anyone is currently using any iSCSI with
>> FreeBSD and what your success failures might be.
>
> I just started using the latest iSCSI initiator[1] on my 6-STABLE desktop to
> access some volumes on a LeftHand Networks SAN. It's a bit lacking in polish,
> but it works quite well. The one big missing feature is that it doesn't
> handle network disconnections. No panics or anything though, and performance
> was what I expected.
>
> I'd be interested in what Danny tells you about the initiator's readiness for
> production use, but in any case you'll probably just have to do some
> stability and stress testing on your own.
>
> [1] ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/users/danny/freebsd/iscsi-17.5.tar.bz2
>
> JN

The developers response, for those who are interested.

hi Dave,
	the initiator for iSCSI will hit stable/current real soon now.
that was the good news, now for the down side:
what was missing all along was recovery from network disconnects, so
while I think I have it almost worked out, I've come across a major
flow in the iscsi design:
	when the targets crashes, and comes back, there is no way
to tell the client to run an fsck. This is not a problem if the client
is mounting the iscsi partition read only.

	danny

Thanks everyone who responded on and off list to me.

DAve

Veterans?