Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        dfr@render.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS weirdness in -current

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:

> bartol> Yes, it does sound like that problem now that you point it out.
> bartol>
> bartol> Hidetoshi, is there anything I can do to help out?
>
> I already made a patch and send it to freebsd-lite2 list.
> (I guess you can find it by mailing list archive search,
> keyword is "Delayed write patch".)
>
> Doug will commit it to -current tomorrow(it may depends on time zone :-).
> If you cannot wait it, I will send you the patch.
>
> Please try the patch.
>
> /\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
> \/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
> PGP public key: finger -l simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back you on trying this patch.  I see that
the patch has already been committed, great!  Here are my results:

1) the patch fixes the anomalous behavior -- nfs operations no longer
   block other nfs operations when they shouldn't.

2) with vfs.nfs.dwrite=1, nfs reads go at 400KBps and nfs writes go at
   600KBps!  Not too shabby!  During a write of a file called "ick", do an
   "ls -al ick" in another xterm shows the file's size increasing in large
    chunky, and infrequent increments.

3) with vfs.nfs.dwrite=0, nfs reads go at 250KBps and nfs writes go at
   250KBps.  "ls -al ick" shows the file's size increasing smoothly over
   time.

4) with 2.2-960801-SNAP we got 600KBps reads and 300KBps writes so a few
   things have changed in -current.  "ls -al ick" shows file's size
   increasing somewhat smoothly, sort of half-way between behavior
   described in 2 and 3 above.

In the tests above we NFS mounted a filesystem served by an Auspex NS200
running Auspex kernel 1.8M1Z1 (a SunOS 4.1.4 variant).  We were reading or
writing a 10MB file over a dedicated switched 10BT ethernet connection to
the Auspex.

Hope this helps,

Tom