Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 23:27:48 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        Bill Wells <bill@twwells.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with compiling some port

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 19:20 , Men gasped, women fainted, and small
children were reduced to tears as Bill Wells confessed to all:

> Be sure your INDEX file in ports is properly updated. I found an
> oddity there where it referenced the wrong version of expat and
> that broke things.

I've done that.  INDEX is rebuilt weekly.  I think I may have a
clue at the moment.  I started a complete new source tree cvsup
about 10 minutes ago after nuking the old one.

But I found rsync compiled on this machine.

I see that libtool is newer on this machine than the other.

I also did a make readmes in the directory and on this machine, in
which rsync compiles, and checked the expat2 files.

On this on it shows "This port requires package(s) libtool-1.3.4_4
to build" while on the other it says "This port requires
packages "" to build.

IOW - it shows no dependancies.  I tried building a new libtool
on it and I still get the same error on building rsync or anything
that requires the expat.1.95.4.  So far all the makefiles show the
same and I do a cvsup on ports automatically each night.

lyx which won't compile on the other machine because of the expat
problem compiles on this one - both with source trees that were
cleaned first and both with totally fresh ports trees.

'tis strange.

I always fails with an error of not finding the CPPFLAGS, CPP,
CFLAGS and LDFLAGS not found with build_alias, host_alias, and
target_alias_value not found.  Thus the next error of
can't run /bin/sh conftools/config.sh.

Whatever is supposed to find those values is not working.

Bill
other machine now to see what happens.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com