Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:44:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Field <tom@nautilus.eng.orgella.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ATAPI IDE CDROM Drives

I am sure that this question has been asked before, but I am new to this,
but my son and I are attempting to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 and we have an
ATAPI IDE CDROM drive. Greg Lehey's Running FreeBSD 2.1 says to use
/cdrom/floppies/atapi.flp to create the boot disk. Unfortunately, we have
been unable to find that file on the cdrom. We used dos fdisk (from a
dos 7 boot floppy to create a dos partition on the 2.1G hardrive and then
copy files into the dos partition. We then attempted to install from the
dos partition. The install program installed ok but during the boot from
the hard disk it stopped complaining about not being able to mount root
system or something. We are lost at this point, not being unix experts.

If the answer to the ATAPI IDE CDROM problem is the atapi.flp file, where
do I get it? Can I download it from the internet somewhere? What about the
mount problem?

Tom Field