Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 1995 23:59:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        Daniel Baker <dbaker@Concorde-Mail.NeoSoft.COM>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on 286?

Ahhh, terry, i was hoping u would way in on this one... :-)

On Thu, 1 Jun 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I've got an old 286 box with an 80 meg hard drive.. Is there any change
> > that I can get FreeBSD running on it?
> >
> > I think I can put memory in there, it's only got 640k of memory now.. :-)
> > heh, I'll add another 8 megs...

	Hokay, we have established that this guy would be better of with
a 386 and 4 megs as opposed to a 286 and 8 megs,, right?

> The MACH VM system requires a PMMU; there are also assumptions in the
> swap, shared library, mmap, and linker that support this supposition.

	This dovetails neatly with a question i have about this. It is my
understanding that one of the reasons we have i*86BSD variants is that in
addition to the ability to become 4 little seperate 8086's ( which we
dont use, right? ), the 386 was the first cheap cpu to support a hardware
page table, does our kernel make use of this?

> For the same reason, Motorolla processers prior to the 68030 or the
> 68020 with companion PMMU chip can't run NetBSD.

	exaclty which mac is this? They seem to be some real cheep used
ones around here, and i would love a 2nd unix box

> Similarly, SVR2.3 is the last System V system that will run with the
> same hardware limitations.

	didn't linus' first effort get created on a 286?

> I've considered back-porting a simpler VM system, but the work would
> not be worth the effort (I don't even own anything less than a 486
> except real old hardware, and I already have SVR2.3 for my Amiga
> 1000 with 68010)

68010? 68010? you are kidding! I had a class where we built stuff with
68010's

	is there anything still available that runs on these mega cheap
amigas?

	wanna part with the whole thing? Is it usable?

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@cs.weber.edu
> ---
> or previous employers.

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life