Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:00:00 +0000
From:      Lewis Thompson <lewiz@fajita.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum, replaced disk -- fsck error.

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

Hi,

I had a failed disk in my RAID-0 Vinum array.  This was a physical disk
problem and in an attempt to recover as much data as possible I dd'ed it
to another disk (dd if=3Dad3 of=3Dad1 bs=3D8192 conv=3Dnoerror).

  This has mostly gone fine (bar the I/O errors that were to be
expected) and I can actually start vinum and mount the RAID-0 array with
no trouble (Vinum reports no errors I can see).  I don't really know how
I can test the integrity of files from the replaced disk...

  I attempted to fsck the volume before I mounted it but I first had to
restore the superblock for the volume (tunefs -A /dev/vinum/data), which
worked fine.  However (and this is my real problem), fsck_ufs
/dev/vinum/data gives the following message:

** /dev/vinum/data
cannot alloc 4316869296 bytes for inphead

***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****

  Searching about doesn't reveal much of any use -- Google Groups has a
few of these errors for Solaris, so I assume it to be a fairly
``generic'' UFS error (?)

  Any suggestions what I can do now?  I am expecting corruption on my
array but I thought some corruption was better than nothing at all.  Am
I way off thinking that I can do this?

  I've not included many specific details here because I don't know if
they are relevant.  Just ask if I've missed anything and I'll provide it
right away.  Thanks a lot,

-lewiz.

--=20
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple@lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz@jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--