Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:00:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, nchcvt@sover.net
Subject:   Re: HP Netserver

> Our HR dept. has offered to donate an HP Netserver/66 LC for use as a
> central SMTP
> server for the corporation. We've been considering FreeBSD; however
> according
> to several FAQ items, there are some problems related to the built in
> SCSI adapter
> as well as with using a `dangerously' dedicated hard drive. Are these
> issues still
> viewed as problematic; should we graciously refuse the offer ?
>
> Thanks in advance for the (encouraging) advice.
>
> Laurence Morell/ MIS Coordinator
> Northern Counties Health Care
> St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
>
> nchcvt@sover.net

 There's no problem using a "dangerously" dedicated drive; because:

	1) This means the drive doesn't have a standard partition table,
	   so other operating systems won't recognize it.
	   If you don't plan on running other operating systems on the
	   hardware; this is just fine.

	2) Because you don't have to; you can not use the "dangerously"
	   dedicated mode and FreeBSD will happily handle the partition
	   table correctly.

 As far as the SCSI issue; I'm not aware of what SCSI controller comes
with that box... so, I can't speak to that issue as well...

	- Dave Rivers -