Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:04:19 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: end-user whines about 2.10

Randy Bush wrote:
| so this 2.10 thing seems confusing from a user perspective.  some
| things have either moved, transmogrified, or disappeared.  i have
| -fifth-toe, -power-tools, and -office installed, but ...
|
|   o i can't seem to find a biff for the panel.  inbox monitor
|     seems to have disappeared or something, and addtopanel offers
|     nothing obvious to replace it.

This is documented in the GNOME 2.10 release notes.  I'm now using
mail/mail-notification as a replacement, but it is not as real-time as
the applet used to be.

|   o the wireless applet seems to have changed to some sort of
|     useless flashing pixmap of a screen.  where did the signal
|     strength meter, an ever so useful device, go?

It's a purple icon next to the flashing monitors.

|   o i still have not figured out how to get my own separate
|     custom application menu back.  see just to the right of the
|     main menu foot in
|        <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/panel.jpg>;
|     for my 2.8 panel section.  sorry, i could not figure out how
|     to take a screenshot while the hierarchic menu folder was
|     open.

I just create custom drawers, and that works fine in GNOME 2.10.

| and totem now smacks me when i try to play a vcd, whining
| "OSS device "/dev/dsp" is already in use by another program."
| when nothing is using sound that i can see.
|
|     # lsof | grep -i dsp
|     # lsof /dev/dsp

Check your gstreamer audio settings.  Alternatively, you could recompile
totem with libxine support if it works better for you.

Joe