Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:56:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-SPARC <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: sparc64 tinderbox failure

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Atle wrote:

> Jake Burkholder wrote:
>
> > Search for "sun ultra" on ebay; I got mine from paladintech.  Ultra 10s
> > are cheaper but more PC class, my 300mhz does a full buildworld in about
> > 5 hours last time I timed it.  Ultra 2 is probably the best value, but
> > we don't support the builtin scsi controller yet.
>
> This is probably half-way OT, but I ask anyway since it would be OT many
> other places as well.
> I know nothing about SCSI controllers, but believe some have a BIOS, but
> most are used by communicating through .
>
> The objective of my question is to figure out if I can make my Ultra 10
> less PC-like by putting in a PCI IDE-RAID acting like a SCSI-card.
>
> I don't want to buy it and get bad surprises, though :-)
>
> If SCSI is supported, and an IDE-RAID card presents a SCSI interface to
> the driver, shouldn't it work?

    This is exactly what the Adaptec 2400A does in the PC world.  It's
a PCI board, and FreeBSD supports it--it is probed as asr0, but I
don't know if the driver has been ported or can even work in an Ultra
10.

    I don't know a damned thing about interrupt handling in the SPARC
world, and only have a high-level understanding in the x86 world.  The
lack of a 16-bit IRQ vector should be a distinct advantage in the
SPARC world.

> To someone building a driver for a PCI card, PCI is PCI OpenBoot or not,
> right?
>
> If a driver for an IDE RAID could be made, I think many U10 owners would
> be happy, there is no doubt to me that the IDE is what makes the U10
> PC-like ...

    It's only IDE at the disk drive side.  At the PCI slot side, it
pretends to be SCSI.  Theoretically, a driver for such a board that
worked in an Ultra 10 should also work in any modern box with a PCI
bus.

> With apologies for ignorance, Atle

    You're less ignorant than I.

--